The Munchies® EPS (Enhanced Posterior Seating) range have been designed to optimise the seating of aligners in the premolar region in particular, where expansion is often programmed. Poorly-fitting aligners in the premolar region will deliver forces which are too coronal, and will produce a propensity to tipping, giving unwanted results.
Munchies EPS devices utilise the same principle as the standard Munchies® but also focuses on the posterior teeth, where optimization of seating and fit is critical to ensure pure buccal translatory forces are applied.
The Science of Munchies® EPS
Munchies® EPS have been designed to minimise unwanted tipping movements during arch expansion, especially in the premolar region.The Munchies® EPS 3-ridged-arm has been designed to adapt to the anatomy of all premolars and extended palatally and lingually to ensure expansion forces from the aligners are delivered as gingivally as possible to avoid tipping and open posterior bites. These tipping movements occur due to the expansion forces programmed into the aligners being applied inaccurately.
Munchies® EPS utilise a specifically formulated unique medical grade, visco-elastic silicone.
Munchies® EPS Features
Using the 4 Point Touch System design, the Munchies® EPS posterior arm engages the aligner in the central fossa and cuspal inclines areas of the premolars and optimizes seating without compromising the shape of the aligner.
- Enhanced Posterior Seating Arm: The Munchies® EPS 3-ridged-arm has been designed to adapt to the anatomy of all premolars and extended palatally and lingually to ensure expansion forces from the aligners are delivered as gingivally as possible to avoid tipping and open posterior bites.
- Upper and Lower teeth Intrusion Grooves: Designed to adapt to the anatomy of the incisors. The grooves are engineered to grasp each aligner incisally and gently provide forces to optimise seating without distorting the aligner form and shape.
- Canine Intrusion Well: Anatomically designed to engage the incisal third of the upper and lower canines to ensure the aligner is seated intimately and is ideal to utilize for complete seating of attachment templates
Munchies® EPS are offered in Pink and Blue options. The Pink EPS has a hardness in between the standard Yellow and Orange Munchie, whilst the Blue option has a similar hardness to the standard Red Munchie.
How to Prescribe Munchies® EPS
At the first appointment for aligner insertion, two Munchies® are consumed, and as necessary at subsequent appointments. Patients with heavier bites, bruxers, and more frequent users could require extra devices or the more robust Maxx. Biting too hard or excessively will result in early ripping of the Munchies® EPS.
The ideal protocol to utilise Munchies® EPS is to begin with manual insertion in the canine area followed by 15 to 20 seconds use of the EPS arm in the premolar region. Horizontal rotation allows for the use of the Canine Seating Well, and finally, seating of the Anterior Teeth.
Product range and purchasing options
Munchies® EPS are available in:
- 2 Piece Packs: Ideal to give to patients at each aligner changeover visit, should be provided with the patients’ next series of aligners, providing a hygienic and convenient delivery method.
- Professional Bulk Packs: These are ideal for professionals who wish to hand out the Munchies devices one or two at a time at aligner changeover visits. If patients always have access to multiple Munchies® EPS, they are more likely to comply with the correct reinsertion protocol and maximize the delivery of the correct forces programmed into the aligners.
- 3 Piece Cassettes: At the commencement of clear aligner therapy, your patients should be provided with a professional, hygienic Munchies® EPS 3 Piece Cassette Pack.